Thursday 16 April 2009

I've been wired

I am officially in love with Jimmy McNulty.

I know I'm slow - I've only just started watching the first series of The Wire and really, he's not that likable at first. He's abrasive, drinks too much, cheated on his wife, lives like a slob ... BUT last night we saw his vulnerable side - when his mate Kima was shot during an UC operation. He went into shock and there were tears in his eyes. Haven't even seen that side of him before, even when his wife won't let him see his kids (and we know he loves them, but he's not the most emotive guy). He's flawed, but now .. now I just want to hug him, despite his many and varied flaws!!

I guess this reflects on how the characters in The Wire are just so compelling. I love Bubbles too, I can't believe how much I like and sympathise with this guy who is a junkie and a theif and a snitch. When he tries to go clean, I'm really rooting for him, knowing full well that he'll be back on the junk and the whole cycle will start again. Still love him. I think that actor is bloody brilliant.

Which means ... the writers of the show are brilliant. I believe they are natives of Baltimore and have seen a lot of the stuff first hand. Its not a glamorous location (like CSI's Miami, NY or even Vegas). It looks worse than the bad parts of east London. But they know it and write it so well, makes you feel like its the last frontier.

The Wire is officially under my skin and I'm thrilled that there are loads more series to go! I know everyone else in the world has watched them already, but I only just found it - not even sure if its the first time its been aired in the UK. I had read good things about it which is what prompted me to record it on my skybox in the first place and give it a whirl.

My name is Sam and I'm addicted to The Wire (and Jimmy).

No comments: